The capacity to love gives depth to human relationships, brings people closer to each other physically and emotionally, and makes people think expansively about themselves and the world.
Love is mix of three components:
1) passion, or physical attraction,
2) intimacy, or feelings of closeness,
3) commitment, involving the decision to start and sustain a relationship.
The presence of all three components will be characterizing consummate love, the most durable type of love. In addition, the presence of intimacy and passion in marital relationships will be predicting marital satisfaction. Also, commitment is the best predictor of relationship satisfaction, especially in long-term relationships. Positive consequences of being in love include increased self-esteem and self-efficacy.
Minding is the reciprocal knowing process involving the nonstop, interrelated thoughts, feelings, and behaviors of persons in a relationship.
Five components of mind include:
1) knowing and being known: seeking to understand the partner,
2) making relationship-enhancing attributions for behaviors: giving the benefit of the doubt,
3) accepting and respecting: empathy and social skills,
4) maintaining reciprocity: active participation in relationship enhancement,
5) continuity in minding: persisting in mindfulness.